Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Defense

We played Elgin on Monday night and it was ugly. The JV lost by about 15-20. It was some of the worst defense that I have ever seen. We had no effort and not heart. I felt like it was last year again. Then the Varsity came out and were down 16-0 in the first 4 minutes. They fought back and ending up losing by 3 in overtime. The battled hard but came up just short.

Today we went to Cameron. They are just as athletic as Elgin was. The JV jumped out to a quick 8-2 lead. I thought that maybe we would be alright. Before I knew it we were down by 10. We got down by 16 in the third and were down 12 at the end of the third. It was more of the same from Monday. We just were not giving any effort on the defensive end. There was one point in the third quarter that I didn't see that game for about 45 seconds because I had my head in my hands. IT WAS BAD. In the 4th quarter something clicked with our kids. They started getting after Cameron and we outscored them 23-5 in the 4th. They didn't even have a field goal in the quarter. Just 5 free throws. We ended up winning by 6. It was awesome but I think it took a year off my life. That last quarter was about as hard as I have ever coached. I was physically drained after the game. Then I had to go to the Varsity game and help coach that one as well. They handled Cameron pretty easily. They ended up winning by 14. Next Tuesday we have to go to Glen Rose. Last year they beat our Varsity by about 30. Hopefully we will play a little bit better this year.

No comments: