Thursday, April 19, 2007

AH-64 Apache

This Christmas Laura gave me one of the coolest gifts ever. For quite some time now I have wanted to take a ride in an Apache. I don't really know how or why this started but it has now become a goal of mine. Anyway, one of Laura's classmates in nursing school just happens to be married to and Apache pilot. Her present to me was that when he got back from Iraq hes was going to take us out to Fort Hood and show us around the Apache hangar. This was awesome. It made it even better because I had no idea about it unlike the surprise party she threw for me in college(thanks Walt). Anyway, she told me that she had a surprise for me and one morning over the Christmas break we just started driving into Belton. I had absolutely no idea where we were going. We pull up in front of this house. She tells me that this is Susan's house and she askes me if I remember what her husband does. It didn't take me too long to figure out that he was the Apache pilot. Anyway, we headed out to Fort Hood and got to look at the Apaches.











Flying the Apache would have to be like playing the ultimate video game. There are some many screens and buttons and switchs that I don't think I would ever figure them all out. The guy showing me around said that you have to know what each button and switch does by the feel of it so that you can use it at night without having to turn a light on and let the enemy see where you are.






And now a picture of me and my Apache. Hopefully next time I am this close to one it is as I am getting ready to go for a flight. By the way, there are some better pictures of this but they are actual photos and therefore not on the computer. And lets be honest, it took me four months to get the digital pictures on the website-can you image how long it will take me to put up pictures that I have to scan!




No comments: